Into Thy Word -
Learning to Surrender your will to Gods
(This curriculum works quite simply, by Examining the Word and being in prayer! And then discuss with others in a small group or with a mentor.)
The key is to PRAY then read and examine the passages and then pray again!!!!!
· Obedience is our moment of truth!
- Surrendering Is not giving up!
We must have the firm desire to surrender ourselves to the will of the Father! However this surrendering we do is not giving up our distinction and personality. It does not make us eunuchs and robots who serve a master out of obligation and employment or out of a predetermined program. It is the refusal to surrender our will that leads us astray and away from His perfect will that leads to unhappiness and strife.
Surrendering your will to Gods is the importance of doing the will of God:
1. JOHN 5:17; COLOSSIANS 1:9-10:God wants us to follow His plan, because He has a better idea!
2. JEREMIAH 29:11; JOHN 5:17-21; ROMANS 8:28-29 Love is what Gods will is all about--His love for us!
3. MATTHEW 6:31-34; ROMANS 12:1-3; Gods plans are better than ours could ever be! This is wonderful! This is what God wants!!!
4. JOHN 17:3; ISAIAH 55:9 Gods invitation is His revelation for us to join His plan!
5. MATTHEW 4:18-22; 5:43-48; 6:5-8; 20:20-28; What kinds of adjustments can you find in these Scriptures?
Obedience will require us to adjust!
6. ACTS 9:1-25 Obedience will cost us, but there is no better way!!!
7. MATTHEW 12:50 This is the moment of truth!
8. PSALM 119:33-35 When God leads with a directive, we are to obey!
Gods Blessings are beyond our Imagination
§ When we allow Him to work, then His plans become our plans!!
§ We come to know more of our Lord through experience!
§ He will accomplish His will when we obey!!
§ If we truly love our Lord, then we will obey out of our love for what He did for us, out of gratitude!!
§ We must allow ourselves to experience Christ working!
9. JAMES 2:20 Faith without a response is meaningless!
To know the will of God, we must DENY ourselves and focus our attention on our LORD; not on our plans or ideas: But wait on what God shows us!!
10. LUKE 6:46-49; JOHN 7:16-17 God blesses those who are obedient!
11. JONAH; EXODUS 2:11-15; God does give second chances, yet, disobedience will cost us a lot!
12. GENESIS 12:1-20 Abraham started a great walk with God, then he blew it!
13. 2 SAMUEL 11 David blew it too!
14. ACTS 9:1-2 Paul began his career persecuting Christians!
We cannot know the way of our Lord without adjustment and paying a price, yet the price is insignificant compared to the worth we will gain than we can ever imagine!!!
§ God does not give up on us!
§ God often gives us a second chance!
§ God wants to develop us as a person of Character and integrity!
§ When God sees our faithfulness and obedience, He will grant us more responsibility as well as blessingsBecause our TRUST has grown!
The will of God has more to do with controlling our hearts, than what we do in our planning and ideas!!! see I Peter 5:6-11
QUALIFICATIONS OF KNOWING GODS WILL:
a. You must have a growing relationship with Christ!
b. You must surrender your will to His!
c. You must be willing to adapt and be flexible!
d. You must have a growing personal walk, filled with Scripture Study, Prayer, and Devotions!
e. You must be willing to Obey God!
When people are concerned with knowing Gods will they are usually facing a crisis or decision in their lives. This is in two primary areas, first being our concern with future events that is what does God want me to do with my life in regards to education, job, who will I marry or what pet should I buy. The second primary crisis point is dealing with the past, which is what decisions have I made that I now have consequences to bear or are causing problems in my life.
These two crises fall short on what Scripture teaches us about Gods will. We need to focus our thoughts upon today not what happened in the past and not be overly focused on the future but how do we please God in our life here and now.
A Question: What would your life be like if you completely trusted God? Luke 4:16-19; John 14:1-14
Ó 1994, 2001
Richard Joseph Krejcir, is the Director of Into Thy Word Ministries, a discipleing ministry. He is also a pastor, teacher, speaker is a graduate of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena California and has amounted nearly 20 years of pastoral ministry experience mostly in youth ministry, including serving as a church growth consultant.